Thursday, December 9, 2010

Note to a Parent and to her other teachers...

This baby girl is in DESPERATE need of glasses.  I wrote a referral to the nurse and she got her approved through Lion's club and the student told me today that her mother didn't take her to the appointment.  This is the second year I've had this child and she has expressed issues to me about her mom spending her "daddy money" on things that were not for her benefit.  I think she has 10+ siblings with her father and 4 with her mother. 

She is a HARD working kid.  She can RISE above her family of origin.  She needs BASIC things such as EYEGLASSES.  I just called her mother who told me that I couldn't talk to her now because she was at work.  She told me to call back before 11 am.  Like that works for me as a school teacher...I guess I can call her when I get up in the morning to see if she can talk about this. 

I have provided this child with the supplies to take my upper level class for two years.  I don't normally do this, but she is about the hardest working kid I've ever had. I will pay for a kid like this.  I hate to see her handicapped because she is so nearsighted.  She lives near me and I will TAKE her to the eye doctor if her mother will allow me to transport her. 

I feel bad that I didn't realize that she was nearsighted until this year.  I should have known it last year. 

She is worthy.  She's such a wonderful kid.  She NEEDS grown ups going to bat for her. 

No comments:

Post a Comment