Wednesday, November 24, 2010

And what is YOUR definition of SLANG?

I was walk down the hall and I smile at people. I figure that's better than "glancing daggers" at the people I pass.   I look around and take in the plethora of youthful exuberance and I look around in time to hear and SEE the word "M*****F****R" come out of a child's mouth. 

The brakes on my heels squeal and I turn to him and sadly my smile has gone and I say "Sir, that is unacceptable."  He gives me an evil look and says "What?"  I say again that his language is unacceptable.  He tells me he "didn't do nothing." 

I have a bitch button, and the quickest way to push it is to lie right to my face.  At this point, I  noticed that he was also wearing a hat inside (against the rules) and ask him to remove it.  He tells me I'm getting on his nerves. 

I asked him if he understood that the use of profanity in public can get him a pricey ticket, let alone the use inside a school building.  He also has no ID. 

I'm trying to find the teachable moment here.  He needs to take the hat off, he needs an ID and he needs to not use profanity at school....Fortunately, an administrator happened by and she was able to explain to him in very small words that HE was creating a problem by having an unwilling attitude. 

God Love Little Jimmy.  He got it.  He repeated back "I'm not supposed to cuss in the building?"  He finally understood that I didn't want to throw down with him.  It was amazing. He DID actually have some manners in the end.  He said, "Thank you Miss." 

What is kind of challenging to me is that this child has no sense of what is appropriate.  How can one get to high school without learning that it's not good to cuss at school? 

No comments:

Post a Comment