Saturday, November 27, 2010

Fear and Loathing at Taco Bell

We were sitting at Taco Bell over by City Place and there are a lot of signs on the doors that say "Work Here."  Considering the economy, I see that as a hopeful thing. Minimum wage has gone up quite a bit in the last couple of years and although still small is bigger than it was when I started working at two bucks an hour.  

I like to watch people.  I see the couple come in with their two year old.  He's very happy that there is a balloon tied to the high chair they pick out for him.  His mother is showing delight about the balloon and the child is also delighted.

I'm munching down on my double decker taco.  I've had an awful lot of fowl lately and want some mammal to gnosh on.  Mmmmm BEEF.  Even the bean helps beat that fowl taste out of my mouth.  Anyway, I'm munching down on the aforementioned double decker taco and I see this young woman walk in the front door.  She's got her hair in a sock bun.   She has a tattoo that stretches above her clavicle.  She's got on converse sneakers with no laces and is carrying a Coach bag.  She walks in and she's got this HOSTILE expression on her face like she is some kind of MAJOR bad ass.  I see this look on the faces of the students at my school.  I'm interested so I watch her.  She's walking the "I'm going to kick your ass walk." She goes to the counter and she gets a drink and she apparently asks to talk to someone.  The shift manager comes out and I don't hear the conversation but apparently she is seeking a job interview and wants to make sure that she comes at the right time.  The manager tells her to come a week from Saturday at nine.  She repeats it to him and SMILES beautifully. 

She turns around and she's a teenager again.  She has a smile on her face, she says "thank you" several times.  She looks as though she has some hope.

This makes me think a lot.  I see that "Hostile" look at school every day.  I didn't grow up that way.  Is that tough look based on fear?  Are these children really afraid more than hatefully ugly? 

Why are they afraid?  Are they afraid of me

No comments:

Post a Comment