Saturday, October 30, 2010

Caffeination

I met one of my former students at Starbucks today.  We manage to hook up there every few months. It's nice.  I appreciate hearing his point of view on the world.  I'm very, very proud of his accomplishments and was SO thrilled when he presented me with a bound copy of his Master's Thesis last year.  I was even prouder when he landed his dream job.  How many people can say that?  I was totally proud when his thesis and he got quoted in USA Today recently. 

The weather was stunningly gorgeous today.  It seriously does not get better in Texas.  We usually sit at the same table.  He was there waiting for me.  We play catch up and visit and talk about the folks we both know and love and I start to tell him about my week and I said "Waiting for Superman" and this strange fellow from the next table gets up and joins us and begins to say some really peculiar things.  He actually kind of dominates the conversation and does have some interesting things to say but I think he's harder to follow than I am when there are shiny objects about. 

He talks about "things." He talks about education because of the book I have on the table. He talks about some esoterica that is beyond my comprehension.  I think he's been in rehab lately.  I have to appreciate my ability to attract random strangers.  At least he didn't ask for money. 

Maybe next time we'll meet at Lakewood instead of Casa Linda.

No comments:

Post a Comment