Thursday, October 28, 2010

Waiting For Superman

We just got back from a screening of Waiting For Superman at the Magnolia.  I've heard a lot of the hype and I've heard criticisms and as it addresses public education--a topic near and dear to my pea-picking heart I wanted to see it. 

I had heard of Harlem Children's Zone and truly applaud the dedication  of Mr. Canada and the results that they are getting, but it's SUCH a tiny number of kids.  It IS an exemplary program and I wonder WHY we can't have such exemplary programs all over the place.

I saw one factor in common with all of the children presented. They ALL had parents (or grandparents) who were deeply committed to their child/grandchild getting a quality education. They were families that value education and CARE enough to get up and fight for their child.  These folks registered for lotteries at the BEST public school and the results are angst filled.

My parents cared that I was educated.  College was expected, it was NOT an option, it was a requirement.  I'm still working on my own brood, and two have degrees and two have parts of degrees. 

That makes such a big difference.  Having parents or people that care if you can read past a third grade level is a monumental thing. 

The discussion about teacher unions was interesting.  It seems as if the unions were obstructing potential growth and excellence in Washington, D.C. in order to protect the mediocre.  As unions offer very little in Texas other than legal protection it isn't locally relevant.  If the unions TRULY protect such blatantly awful teachers as indicated in the film then SHAME ON THEM.  I think about people that I've known who sat downtown and collected a full wage while out on administrative leave and it makes me sick.  If they were put on leave without pay, they might go make new friends and get a new job unrelated to education.  

In the end, some families were happy, some were not.  I do not however believe that they were defeated.  Folks who value education that much will find a way to get their kids to school.  

I do really want to pass the hat for little Miss Daisy in LA.  I see the hunger in that child's eyes.  I see the brilliance.   

No comments:

Post a Comment