Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Where to begin?

I'm terrified.  I watched the movie Idiocracy and it's very silly and ridiculous.  However, I'm a public school teacher at the largest inner city high school in my state.  I see things every day that make me cringe and respect the concept of Idiocracy

I choose to combat Idiocracy.  I choose to fight tooth and nail to dispel ignorance. 

Some friends know my plight. Some friends know my fight.  I posted a bellringer. If you don't know, a bellringer is an assignment that is posted on the board when the kids come into the room.  They have to write a short response to a posted question.

This was the question.  "What is your favorite book and why? Who was the best character?"

I am sad to say that I had one student that said "Miss, what if you haven't read a book?"  I'm talking to a high school child who has already reproduced.  I went sarcastic for a moment and said "You admit this publicly?"  She got defensive and said "I don't care."  I did inquire further and learned that she did read Dr. Seuss when she was small.   I had another student in a different class say the same thing and I inquired if she had read books when she was younger and she reported that she had not. 

I am teaching high school students who report that they have NOT ever read a book.  What's up with this?

No comments:

Post a Comment